Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Harry Potter Room

Like most kids his age and half the world, my son has read all of the Harry Potter books and watched all of the movies. He loves it so much that I decided to make him a Harry Potter themed bedroom. I've been working on this project for a long time, and I'm so excited that it is finally complete. I didn't take pictures along the way because I was still toying with the idea of creating a blog, so I apologize for that.

I went for the "dorm room-like" feel to try and replicate Harry's room at Hogwarts. I got the curtains from Walmart for $10 a piece, which I felt was a great price for these curtains and the look I needed.



This picture shows the entrance to his "dorm".  I used made this sign with a pre-cut piece of wood and some paint.
 
These are the "potions" that I made. I purchased the glass jars from Hobby Lobby, and found the printable labels with a tutorial here. I made the yellow and green liquid by putting highlighters in the water and letting them sit over night. It worked perfectly. I also made the bubbly look just by using gorilla glue. It naturally bubbles up like that, so I just helped it run down the side. I decided to super glue all of the potions to a wooden decorative dish that I had already had in the garage. I figured this would keep from having bottles get knocked over everywhere.


 
I also had an anwesome find from a rummage sale. This is a little trunk that originally had some ugly floral design on it.  I just painted over it and mod podged the Hogwarts seal onto the trunk.

 
The robe was super easy for me. I just graduated from college, so I used my robe from graduation as the wizard robe. I crocheted a red and yellow scarf to go along with the robe. I also made a custom broom for him because I couldn't ever find a broom that I liked in the store. I found the broom bristle at Hobby Lobby in the floral section, and my husband found the stick in our neighbor's yard. I just tied twine around the bristle to attach it to the stick...... instant magic!
 
 
This was one of my favorite projects....the lamppost! I hand painted the signs on small pieces of wood and purchased the top of the light.  For the rod on the lamp I used a curtain rod that I had already had in my garage. My husband assembled the lamp and ended up using a plastic piece from the garden section of the store for the base. I can't explain all of the ends and outs of how he made the rest of it because I'm no electrition.


I also custom made some furniture to match the room. I took a dresser and night stand that I had found on Craigslist and an entertainment center/armoire that I found for free and repainted them. I was super excited about trying a matte/gloss stenciling technique. Overall I feel like they turned out well; however, if I had to do it again I would change a few things. When stenciling the furniture, I first painted everything a flat matte black, after that I stenciled on a black paint in gloss to get the effect of the stencil. I ended up creating my own stencil so that I didn't have to pay $30 for one. I simply found a pattern that I liked online and cut that pattern out of a plastic folder that I got from the dollar store. Looking back, I should have added a top coat over the matte paint before I added the gloss paint because I could not find a top coat that I could use on both of them without losing the pattern.
 
 
I was also really excited about how the wall decor turned out. I made floating books for the wall. I got this idea from a tutorialthat I found online where they used book ends to hang the books. I couldn't find book ends so I just used large L brackets, and it worked out really well. The prize find for this design was the melting clock I found at Hobby Lobby. It really made the wall look super cute.
 
 
I also created a box like the letter Harry received as the acceptance to Hogwarts. I made the top of the box look like the letter by printing some pictures off and mod podging them to the box. I then dirtied the box up a little to make it look well traveled.
 

 
I went ahead and put his Harry Potter wand in the box for safe keeping.
 
 
I made this wand out of a dowel rod, some paper, and a hot glue gun. It was really fun to make. Here's one of the tutorials that helped me.
 
I also decided to frame some quotes from the book.
 


 
 
I decided to add a little charm to the light switch.
 
 
And of course he had to represent his team!
 
 
The lampshade I decided to poke holes in to let a design shine through. I just printed a design off and taped it to the lamp shade. I then poked holes in the lamp shade with a needle.
 
 
And of course no Harry Potter room would be complete without Hedwig with a handmade Gryffindor scarf....
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love it :-) and so will my nine year old! Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete